District 20 CEC Meeting, Wednesday, May 12
PS 503 families are welcome you to join the D20 CEC May monthly meeting at 7pm. Superintendent Pretto will be discussing assessing grades 2-5 students using the online platform i-Ready.
Date: Wednesday, May 12, 2021
Time: 7:00 PM Calendar Meeting
Meeting ID: 832 1094 4687
Happy Mother’s Day!
Happy Mother’s Day to all of the mothers in our PS 503 community doing the toughest and best job in the world. You are appreciated!
PS 503 Family Meeting with the Principal Updates
Thank you to all the families and staff members who joined us on Tuesday, 5/11 for a very informative family meeting! We appreciate your questions and feedback.
- Summer Rising Program – Application is open! Please see the information below about how to get support completing the application.
- Middle School Offers are now available in MySchools accounts!
- NYC School Family Survey – Share your thoughts about our school! You can complete one survey per child, even if they are in the same school. The code is “f” and your child’s 9-digit OSIS number. Please reach out to your child’s teacher or email email@example.com if you need support.
Please refer to the slides shared at the meeting for information and links.
Summer Rising at PS 503
UPDATE: CFL will offer support for families to complete the Summer rising application on Monday, May 10 & Wednesday, May 12 from 5-7pm in the PS 503 school yard.
PS 503 has been added to the list of schools on the Summer Rising summer program. The Summer Rising Program consists of summer school in the morning and summer camp in the afternoon and is open to all interested families. It will take place July 6 through August 20.
If you are interested in having your child attend the Summer Rising program, please complete the application as soon as possible.
- Create an account using the sign-in button at the top
- Search for a program – PS 503 Beacon Summer Rising
- Add an applicant
- Complete & submit the application.
- If you need support we will have a table set up at arrival with translation available to help families apply. You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org to request support.
PS 503 Virtual PTA Meeting, Wednesday, May 19
Our PTA Meeting will take place on Wednesday, May 19 at 6pm. Your support is very much needed and valued. We will also have information on our upcoming events, PTA elections, SLT and Title One.
Please join us via Zoom!
Meeting ID: 815 4978 4952
Blended Learning May 2021 Calendar
Wondering what day your child has in-person learning? Please refer to the May Calendar for your child’s cohort schedule for in person as well as remote blended learning.
CEC Elections are Open on May 1! Share Your Voice!
Voting for City and Community Education Councils begins on Saturday, May 1!
For the first time, every parent or guardian of a New York City public school student now has the
opportunity to vote for their Education Council representatives! City and Community Education Councils (CCECs) serve as the voice of our families, offering important advice to the Chancellor and the NYC Department of Education. Voting begins on Saturday, May 1 and ends on Tuesday, May 11.
To vote, you just need an NYC Schools Account (mystudent.nyc) that has all of your students registered. Visit schools.nyc.gov/NYCSA to learn more about the NYC Schools Account. If you do not have an NYC Schools Account, or need help registering your children to your existing account, visit our table at arrival or email email@example.com.
PTA Upcoming Events
PTA Online English Course, Mondays in May & June
Topic: PTA Online English Course
Time: May 3, 2021 08:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Every week on Monday through June 14, 2021
May 3, 2021 08:00 PM
May 10, 2021 08:00 PM
May 17, 2021 08:00 PM
May 24, 2021 08:00 PM
May 31, 2021 08:00 PM
Jun 7, 2021 08:00 PM
Jun 14, 2021 08:00 PM
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 816 0639 2966
Grades 3-5 State Test Update: Testing Request Form
- Open to students in blended learning and remote learning
- If your child is 100% remote, & you choose to have them take the test, they will need to come to the building to take the test (one day only for each test)
- If you would like your child to take the tests you will need to complete this request form: PS 503 State Testing Request Form – complete this form by for each child who you would like to take the exam
Whether your child is in blended learning or remote learning If you do not submit a request by April 15th, your child will not take the tests.
- May 11 and 12 – Math Test
- June 7-11 – Gr 4 Science Test
If you need support, or if you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
PS 503 Virtual PTA Meeting Wednesday April 21
Thank you staff and families who attended the PTA meeting on Wednesday. Below are the slides from the Principal’s Report.
- PS 503 Family Meetings 2020-2021 (English)
- PS 503 Family Meetings 2020-2021 (Español)
- PS 503 Family Meetings (Chinese中文)
Create your New York City Student Account (NYCSA)!
Need support creating your NYCSA? We can help you in-person at arrival or you can email email@example.com. Here is a video that can support you!
Anti-Asian Anti-bias Resources
I know that we are all troubled by recent events and the rise of bias and discrimination against all marginalized groups, and most recently against Asian Americans. Special recognition to PS 503 teachers for acknowledging this disturbing trend and responding with community and action. Teachers have put together resources for learning about teaching about Anti-Asian bias.
We encourage and support teachers in discussing these topics in their classrooms with students. Families can email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or suggestions.
We are here as a community to support all of our students and families. Please know that as always we are thinking of you.
PS 503 Family Meeting Updates & Resources
Thank you to all of the staff & families who joined us for the PS 503 Families Meeting on Wednesday, March 10. Below, we have also highlighted the important community resources that we shared at the meeting.
FREE Child Mind Institute Caregiver Workshops
The Child Mind Institute’s School and Community Programs team would like to invite families to join us for our upcoming Caregiver Support Series. Each 60-minute workshop will be delivered in English and available at no cost to NYC DOE caregivers.
- Structuring a Home Learning Environment | Tuesday, March 23rd, 2021 | 9:00AM – 10:00AM
- Managing Kids’ Screen Time | Wednesday, April 7th, 2021 | 4:00PM – 5:00PM
- Motivating Your Child for Remote Learning – Part 1 | Tuesday, April 13th, 2021 | 9:00AM – 10:00AM
- Motivating Your Child for Remote Learning – Part 2 | Wednesday, April 21st, 2021 | 4:00PM – 5:00PM
- Improving You Relationship with Your Child | Tuesday, April 27th, 2021 | 9:00AM – 10:00AM
- Parent Calming Techniques | Wednesday, May 5th, 2021 | 4:00PM – 5:00PM
COVID Testing Consent Forms
Blended Learning students are required to have one of the following forms on file:
- COVID-19 Testing Consent Form
- COVID-19 Testing Students with Disabilities Exemption Form
- COVID-19 Testing Medical Exemption Form
There is no change for students who are in 100% remote learning. Remote Learning students will continue with their Zoom schedule and Google Classroom.
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
COVID Testing In Schools Video
In school COVID-19 testing has begun for staff and students. The testing consent forms have been sent home to all students in blended learning. Please watch this in-school COVID-19 testing video below if you would like to see exactly how the testing procedure will go. You will be notified on the day of testing if your child has been selected for random testing. Your child will not be tested without parental consent. Testing is recommended but not required.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or concerns and we will respond within 2 business days.
Requesting a Learning Device
PS 503 has devices available for students who are in need. If you need a device or your device is not working, please email email@example.com for support.
PS 503 School Forms
If you have not yet completed school forms for your child, please complete the following forms below:
- Emergency Contact Card
- Emergency Pick up Form
- Photo Consent Form
- Walk Home Alone Permission Form (OPTIONAL – only if you want your child to have permission to walk home alone from school)
DOE Health Screening Form
As we discussed at the meeting, each family whose children are in Blended Learning must complete the DOE Health Screening for their children prior to coming into the school building EVERY TIME. Children will not be permitted to enter the building without a completed Health Screening.
To support families with this online tool, here are some videos that show how to complete the DOE Health Screening Form:
- How to Complete the Health Screening Form (English)
- Cómo completar el formulario de evaluación de salud (español)
- كيفية استكمال نموذج الفحص الصحي ( العربي )
DOE Learning Preference Form for 100% Remote Learning
If you would like your child to learn 100% remotely, you can complete the DOE Learning Preference Form at any time to sign up for 100% remote learning. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
For more information visit: https://www.schools.nyc.gov/coronavirus
PS 503: The School of Discovery and Exploration is safe place where all members of our diverse community learn side by side with one another. Habits of mind are taught, practiced, valued, and infused into our culture. It is our mission to welcome and celebrate all peoples and to nurture them to be more reflective, cooperative, and kindhearted.
It is our expectation that all P.S. 503 members: staff, families, and students, will grow academically and gain the skills to help solve social, environmental, economic, and political world problems.
Statement on Accessibility: We are working to make this website easier to access for people with disabilities, and will follow the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0. If you need assistance with a particular page or document on our current site, please contact email@example.com to request assistance.
Respect for All (RFA) Liaison: Yesen Jimenez