Sign Up for Blended Learning by Friday, April 9th!
The New York City Department of Education has announced that there will be another opt in window for families for blended learning. The opt in window has been extended through Friday, April 9th. Families who want their child/children to begin to attend in person school should opt into blended learning using the Learning Preference form.
- If your child is already in blended learning you do not have to do anything. Your child will continue to be in blended learning.
- If your child is in remote learning and you want to continue with remote learning, you do not have to do anything.
The learning preference form is only for those families who want to switch from remote to blended learning, or from blended to remote learning. Families who choose to switch to blended learning will receive confirmation of their child’s cohort and start date for in person instruction in Mid – Late April.
Please feel free to reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns.
Grades 3-5 State Test Update: Testing Request Form
- Students in grades 3-8 are eligible for state testing
- This year’s test results will NOT count against schools or individual students
- Purpose of the tests is to give a baseline assessment to determine the effect of the pandemic on student achievement and help districts determine next steps for students/ teachers
- Tests will only be administered in person in school buildings
- Each test is 1 day only and is only multiple choice questions
- Open to students in blended learning and remote learning
- If your child is 100% remote, & you choose to have them take the test, they will need to come to the building to take the test (one day only for each test)
- If you would like your child to take the tests (ELA & Math) you will need to complete this request form:
PS 503 State Testing Request Form – complete this form by April 15th for each child who you would like to take the exam.
- Whether your child is in blended learning or remote learning If you do not submit a request by April 15th, your child will not take the tests
- April 7 – PS 503 State Test Request Form emailed to Families
- April 15 – Deadline to complete PS 503 State Test Request Form (if you want your child to take the tests)
- Testing Dates – All tests are 1 day and multiple choice only
- April 27 or 28 – English Language Arts Test (reading)
- May 3-14 – Math Test 1 day – dates TBD
- June 7-11 Gr 4 Science Test – dates TBD
If you need support, or if you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
Upcoming District 20 CEC Meeting, April 14
Please be aware of the upcoming District 20 CEC meeting. See this flyer for more details.
Time: Apr 14, 2021 06:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 878 2548 3766
PS 503 Families Meeting with the Principal, Tuesday, April 6
Thank you to all staff and families who attended the PS 503 Families meeting with the Principal on Tuesday, April 6. Below are the slides that we shared during the meeting, including the topics of opting in the blended learning, requesting to take the NY state tests for grades 3-5, food pantry at PS 503 and more.
- PS 503 Family Meetings 2020-2021 (English)
- PS 503 Family Meetings 2020-2021 (Español)
- PS 503 Family Meetings (Chinese中文)
If you would like to view the recording of this meeting (and play Name that Tune with us!) you can view the recording here.
Creat your New York City Student Account (NYCSA)!
Need support creating your NYCSA? We can help you in-person at arrival or you can email firstname.lastname@example.org. Here is a video that can support you!
Blended Learning April 2021 Calendar
Wondering what day your child has in-person learning? Please refer to the April Calendar for your child’s cohort schedule for in person as well as remote blended learning.
Please note that Spring break takes place March 29-April 2. All students will return to school (remote and blended) on Monday, April 5.
Anti-Asian Anti-bias Resources
I know that we are all troubled by recent events and the rise of bias and discrimination against all marginalized groups, and most recently against Asian Americans. Special recognition to PS 503 teachers for acknowledging this disturbing trend and responding with community and action. Teachers have put together resources for learning about teaching about Anti-Asian bias.
We encourage and support teachers in discussing these topics in their classrooms with students. Families can email email@example.com with any questions or suggestions.
We are here as a community to support all of our students and families. Please know that as always we are thinking of you.
PS 503 Family Meeting Updates & Resources
Thank you to all of the staff & families who joined us for the PS 503 Families Meeting on Wednesday, March 10. Below, we have also highlighted the important community resources that we shared at the meeting.
Sunset Park Affordable Housing Virtual Events
Learn about Fifth Avenue Committee’s newest affordable housing project in Sunset Park and how to apply online using NYC Housing Connect! Please see this link to sign up for events on May 4.
FREE Child Mind Institute Caregiver Workshops
The Child Mind Institute’s School and Community Programs team would like to invite families to join us for our upcoming Caregiver Support Series. Each 60-minute workshop will be delivered in English and available at no cost to NYC DOE caregivers.
- Structuring a Home Learning Environment | Tuesday, March 23rd, 2021 | 9:00AM – 10:00AM
- Managing Kids’ Screen Time | Wednesday, April 7th, 2021 | 4:00PM – 5:00PM
- Motivating Your Child for Remote Learning – Part 1 | Tuesday, April 13th, 2021 | 9:00AM – 10:00AM
- Motivating Your Child for Remote Learning – Part 2 | Wednesday, April 21st, 2021 | 4:00PM – 5:00PM
- Improving You Relationship with Your Child | Tuesday, April 27th, 2021 | 9:00AM – 10:00AM
- Parent Calming Techniques | Wednesday, May 5th, 2021 | 4:00PM – 5:00PM
COVID Testing Consent Forms
Blended Learning students are required to have one of the following forms on file:
- COVID-19 Testing Consent Form
- COVID-19 Testing Students with Disabilities Exemption Form
- COVID-19 Testing Medical Exemption Form
There is no change for students who are in 100% remote learning. Remote Learning students will continue with their Zoom schedule and Google Classroom.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
COVID Testing In Schools Video
In school COVID-19 testing has begun for staff and students. The testing consent forms have been sent home to all students in blended learning. Please watch this in-school COVID-19 testing video below if you would like to see exactly how the testing procedure will go. You will be notified on the day of testing if your child has been selected for random testing. Your child will not be tested without parental consent. Testing is recommended but not required.
Please email email@example.com if you have any questions or concerns and we will respond within 2 business days.
Requesting a Learning Device
PS 503 has devices available for students who are in need. If you need a device or your device is not working, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for support.
PS 503 School Forms
If you have not yet completed school forms for your child, please complete the following forms below:
- Emergency Contact Card
- Emergency Pick up Form
- Photo Consent Form
- Walk Home Alone Permission Form (OPTIONAL – only if you want your child to have permission to walk home alone from school)
DOE Health Screening Form
As we discussed at the meeting, each family whose children are in Blended Learning must complete the DOE Health Screening for their children prior to coming into the school building EVERY TIME. Children will not be permitted to enter the building without a completed Health Screening.
To support families with this online tool, here are some videos that show how to complete the DOE Health Screening Form:
- How to Complete the Health Screening Form (English)
- Cómo completar el formulario de evaluación de salud (español)
- كيفية استكمال نموذج الفحص الصحي ( العربي )
DOE Learning Preference Form for 100% Remote Learning
If you would like your child to learn 100% remotely, you can complete the DOE Learning Preference Form at any time to sign up for 100% remote learning. Please email us at email@example.com with any questions.
For more information visit: https://www.schools.nyc.gov/coronavirus
PS 503: The School of Discovery and Exploration is safe place where all members of our diverse community learn side by side with one another. Habits of mind are taught, practiced, valued, and infused into our culture. It is our mission to welcome and celebrate all peoples and to nurture them to be more reflective, cooperative, and kindhearted.
It is our expectation that all P.S. 503 members: staff, families, and students, will grow academically and gain the skills to help solve social, environmental, economic, and political world problems.
Statement on Accessibility: We are working to make this website easier to access for people with disabilities, and will follow the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0. If you need assistance with a particular page or document on our current site, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request assistance.
Respect for All (RFA) Liaison: Yesen Jimenez